Friday, May 10, 2013

Healthy Recipes


Recipes

Since I have changed my lifestyle and eating habits everyone asks so what can you eat? Everyone thinks just because I am eating healthy that there is very little I can have, and that it is all bland. Well I am here to tell you there are tons of things I can have, and they taste amazing!

So I am going to use this blog to not only share my weight loss story, but to also share some of my favorite recipes. Some I have made up myself, some I have found and modified and some will just be amazing recipes I have found and want to share.

Breakfast

My Pico Omelet

Makes: 1 omelet

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 10-15 min.


Ingredients

1 tsp virgin coconut oil

2 free range grain feed eggs

1 medium red tomato diced

3 tbsp yellow onion diced

1/3 cup green pepper diced

1 tbsp cilantro chopped (4-6 sprigs)

½ jalapeno seeded and diced

1 tbsp ground flax seed

½ avocado smashed

1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Pinch of pink salt

Heat oil in a small pan on medium heat; while oil is heating crack the eggs and beat them like they owe you money. Pour eggs in the pan; add ground flax seed, diced tomato, diced onion, diced green pepper, chopped cilantro, diced jalapeno, pink salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes and then fold in half and cook on each side for 2-3 min. Remove from pan and place on a plate. Now spread the smashed avocado on the top of your omelet. I usually enjoy mine with a piece of Ezekiel’s 7 sprouted grain bread toast dry and 8oz of chocolate almond milk.

BBQ Sauce Recipe

Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce

Modified eatingwell.com recipe

Makes: 2 cups

Active Time: 20 min.

Total Time: 40 min.

Ingredients

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil*

1 small red onion, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, chopped

1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped

½ cup bourbon

2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries

½ cup reduced sugar ketchup*

1/3 cup cider vinegar

2 tbsp coconut sugar*

1 tbsp local honey*

1/8 tsp ground allspice

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bourbon, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries, ketchup, vinegar, coconut sugar, honey and allspice; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Goes well on chicken, beef and pork!

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think or if you made any tasty modifications!

You can find the original recipe for the BBQ sauce here: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/blueberry_bourbon_barbecue_sauce.html

Nutrition

Per tablespoon: 28 calories; 0 g fat ( 0 g sat , 0 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein;0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.

* = Modification from the original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment